Friday, January 11, 2013

Rag Quilt

I thought I would change it up a little this year by sharing all the different types of crafts that I find myself involved in. I dabble in many things essentially anything that allows me to express myself creatively I'm all for it.

I found myself for years putting my creative desires on the back burner to my family, work and other commitments however I no longer do that. I spend plenty of time in my craft room doing the things I love and I don't feel guilty about it. I know what !!?? seriously, I gave that up because what I learned was I not only hurt myself by depriving myself but it also took away what my family and friends received from me as a person. I just wasn't the happiest I could be.

I also find myself actually doing the things I want to create. I use to say I'll do that however there it would sit in a binder or my mind and never come to fruition. Well not any longer for this girl.
I've made an intention that if I say I love it enough to want to make then I deserve to spend the time doing it. No more broken promises to myself.  The interesting thing is that many of the items I make I tend to give them away as gifts or just simply make to share with others. There is such a wonderful feeling of good for me when I take my time and make something for someone regardless of how big or small it is. It means they were on my mind and I can't think of anything better to give someone than something handmade for them.
Time is the greatest gift we can give to another - there are no fancy presents or gifts that can mean more to me then some one's time.

I feel wonderful that using my creative skills provides me so much peace and happiness and even better that what I make often brings joy to the people I give them to.

So with this in mind I made my daughter's boyfriend a rag quilt for Christmas. My two girlfriends and I got together for a crafting weekend and we each worked on rag quilts. My girlfriend Mona does not really sew much less make a quilt. However she did - she made an absolutely beautiful one for her friends little baby boy. (She even mentioned something about doing another one ...Yes another !)

My other girlfriend Evelina made one out of only white fabrics and one of the fabrics was an old chenille blanket that she had received from her mother in law. She cut it up and made a beautiful set of rag quilts to cover the twin beds at their cottage. They were stunning and I loved that she had "upcycled" the chenille into a wonderful new memory for years to come.

Mine was done in primarily in plaids. I loved loved loved how it turned out !!!.
 Jake did as well - apparently it matches his room nicely.




I hope you have a wonderful weekend, blessed with time spent with family, friends or even by yourself doing whatever you love most.

Hugs,
Diane 

No comments:

Post a Comment